Behaviour of setjmp/longjmp and reg

mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu
Sat Feb 11 03:16:00 AEST 1989

>problems >>>>>>>>

>>No multicharacter sequences are necessary. The computer it is attached to
>>makes good use of having the complete state of the keyboard at hand.

>Yes, but suppose you want to send information to a different machine.
>Do you send an image of the keyboard on each transition or should the
>the other machine maintain the state info?  How are you going to send
>it without multibyte sequences?  Why should a remote machine treat
>your keyboard any differently than the one connected to it (or even
>know the difference)?

As long as the line can handle 2*(number_of_keys) "chars", It should
be able to use the same up-and-down strokes. And, a cursory train of
thought would seem to indicate that a termcap-like table driven system
could be used at the far machine to make a keyboard independent
interface. Do many keyboards have more than 128 keys? The remote
machine SHOULDN'T have to treat remote keyboards differently.

Perhaps we should begin to make a really SERIOUS distinction between
direct human input and other kinds.