LEX Question

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Fri Feb 24 02:41:29 AEST 1989

In article <412 at chem.ucsd.EDU> tps at chem.ucsd.edu (Tom Stockfisch) writes:
>>Be careful:  this is not a documented feature, at least not in all versions
>>of lex, and therefore should not be relied on too heavily in portable code.
>
>Have you run across a version of lex that does NOT have yyin/yyout?
>I've always thought changing yyin was much more portable than re-defining
>input().

Re-defining "input" is in the documentation as the way to alter input; any
version of lex that follows the manual (and hence deserves to be called
"lex") will permit it and have it work as documented.  "yyin" is not
documented at all -- it is an accident of the original implementation --
and hence may change without warning between versions.
--
The Earth is our mother;       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
our nine months are up.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu