How do I get random #s?

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Thu Feb 16 07:33:35 AEST 1989

In article <1989Feb14.154157.15148 at utzoo.uucp> I wrote:
>>... the standardized rand() doesn't allow a seed to be
>>specified...
>
>Please read manual before flaming about it.  The V7 rand() allowed a
>seed to be specified, as (I think) did earlier ones....

However, as has been pointed out to me in private mail, the key issue when
you want multiple streams of random numbers is not being able to specify
a seed, but being able to save the state of rand() and restore it later.
*That*, the standard rand() can't do.
--
The Earth is our mother;       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
our nine months are up.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu