C optimizer

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ima.isc.com
Wed Feb 22 06:09:15 AEST 1989

In article <667 at microsoft.UUCP> w-colinp at microsoft.uucp (Colin Plumb) writes:
>karl at haddock.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) wrote:
>>This is automatic if the "magic" is embedded in the standard
>>header files, via a keyword.
>
>Um... Karl, what strange disease has come over your brain to make it suddenly
>like adding keywords to C? :-)

I meant this to include not only normal keywords (in the reserved namespace)
but also #pragmas.  However, using #pragma for this is subject to some of the
same objections as using it for volatile: does
	extern int foo(int, double __pure (*)(double));
have a #pragma equivalent?

Btw, it would also be possible to use the existing keyword `const' for this.
(I'm sure someone else will mention this if I don't.)  It remains unclear
whether this would be any less of a mistake than the overloading of `static'
and `break'.