C optimizer

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Wed Feb 15 01:45:31 AEST 1989

In article <9648 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>... to allow the compiler to generate
>in-line code rather than an actual function call for standard
>functions.  There actually is floating-point hardware with SQRT
>support; I don't know about COS.

You betcha; the 80x87 and the 6888x implement everything including the
kitchen sink, notably the trig functions.  Never mind the mundane stuff
like cos():  the 68881 has a hyperbolic-arctangent instruction!

Of course, the newer and faster FPUs like the MIPS one don't have all
this gingerbread, so who knows what next year's FPUs will look like...
--
The Earth is our mother;       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
our nine months are up.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu