Mac LightSpeed C question (elementary)

Federico Genoese-Zerbi fgz at lakart.UUCP
Tue Feb 14 01:49:44 AEST 1989

>From article <1158 at naucse.UUCP>, by rrw at naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier):
>  There appears to be a 32k limit on data structures.  Not too suprising
>  considering the limits of the 68k index register structure.  I have
>  gotten around this problem in Pascal programs by doing allocate and
>  dispose operations.  Is there something equivalent in C?
There is.  However, try the following:

    ptr = (variable type *)NewPtr(size needed);

the C allocators used in Lightspeed end up calling NewPtr anyway.  To
deallocate try:

    DisposPtr(ptr);

>  Or is there
>  a more elegant technique (for example, on researcher here would like
>  to have a 512 * 512 array).
>
>  Not being a C programmer, I would appreciate an answer in words of
>  one syallable :-).
Look in the addendum to Lightspeed C 2.14 for a more detailed example or
if you have THINK C 3.0, they have examples right in the manual.

>  Thanks!

No Prob.

Federico
{xait, mirror, cfisun}!lakart!fgz