How do I get random #s?

Daniel R. Levy levy at ttrdc.UUCP
Sun Feb 12 13:04:23 AEST 1989

In article <225800121 at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
< I hooked an ADC converter and a hot resistor to my computer and xor'ed the
< results from it with rand(). This gives me about 10000 really random numbers
< a second. It is not trivial to get REALLLY random numbers out of such
< a setup, but it can be done.

Why?  Why not use the pure output of your device?  (presuming it has the needed
dynamic range)
--
Daniel R. Levy             UNIX(R) mail:  att!ttbcad!levy
AT&T Bell Laboratories