Behaviour of setjmp/longjmp and reg

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Mon Feb 13 08:11:26 AEST 1989

In article <225800127 at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>>problems >>>>>>>>
>
>Perhaps we should begin to make a really SERIOUS distinction between
>direct human input and other kinds.

*DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT THIS!*  The ability to arbitrarily redirect
input and output among devices/files/pipes/networks is what makes
the unix toolbox approach work.  Take that away and you would have
a fairly useless operating system.  Imagine wc working only with
typed input - how often would you use it?  A reasonable approach would
be to make the local machine (terminal/PC or whatever) handle more
operations locally and generate a standardized output stream.  Personally,
I don't care to waste any CPU time watching for meaningless transitions
of the <shift> key.

Les Mikesell