ROMable High Level Languages

David Douthitt rat at madnix.UUCP
Mon Feb 20 13:14:06 AEST 1989

In article <8902152259.AA04690 at wpi> GREYELF at WPI.BITNET writes:
| | I made a 65c02 handheld computer about 1 year ago, with a seiko 4x20lcd
| | screen.
   .... [stuff deleted]

| | .... The problem I am having..is that All my code is
| | assembly..(I really dont have the time to create each program by hand in
| | assembly)..even though functions such as clock on interupt must still be
| | in assembly..
|
| | Since the code must be ROMable...uses ROM for program, I was wondering if
| | anyone knows of any higher level language that is compact, no libraries or
| | anything like that needed, and will allow me to create a ROMable program.
|
| | Thanks for any replys...
| | Scott Hutinger
| | (Where did all the time go?)
|
| Scott, why not use a normal assembler and the macro routines of
| any standard assembler.
|
| Microsparc puts out an assembler that translates code almost exactly
| like basic to pure object code, no libraries.

If you want to use a higher level ROMable language, I would recommend either
Forth or C.  Both have many versions which are good and offer ROMable code.

Right off the top of my head, Aztec C comes to mind.  However, Aztec C
tends to be expensive and slow.  I don't know if there are any Apple Forths
that are ROMable (I'm sure there must be).  Perhaps you could try MicroMotion
Forth or Isys Forth.. although Isys is IIgs specific and oriented towards
scientific applications (I think).

I wouldn't recommend a macro assembler unless you intend to USE assembly..
Personally for an Apple assembler, Merlin 8/16, ORCA/M, and possibly
the S-C Assembler are the ones I would consider.

I hope this helps....

         [david]

PS: Watch the followups for cross-posting... feel FREE to change the subject
    when this thread goes off-topic.  TX.

--
======== David Douthitt :::: Madison, WI :::: The Stainless Steel Rat ========
FidoNet: 1:121/1 or 1:121/2            {decvax|att}!