"for" loops (was Re: C++ vs. Modula2)

Geoff Rimmer geoff at warwick.UUCP
Fri Feb 3 03:56:22 AEST 1989

In article <6419 at polya.Stanford.EDU> crew at Polya.Stanford.EDU (Roger Crew) writes:
>Here's a quiz:
>How would you write the following in C?
>
>	VAR a, b, c : Char;
>	FOR c = a TO b DO ... END;
>
>You can even assume that the body of the loop affects neither a nor b.
>Hint:  the answer is *not*
>
>	char a, b, c;
>	for (c = a; c <= b; ++c) { ... }
>
>(just try a = 0 and b = 255 in the case of 8 bit chars).
>--

What a stupid question.  If you are going to count from 0 to 255, you
wouldn't use char in the first place - you'd use unsigned char, or
int.  I can't see what you're getting at, at all.

>Roger Crew		Copyright 1989 -- All Rights Reserved.   (so there!)
>Usenet:    {arpa gateways, decwrl, uunet, rutgers}!polya.stanford.edu!crew
>Internet:  crew at polya.Stanford.EDU

	Geoff Rimmer, Computer Science, Warwick University, England.
			geoff at uk.ac.warwick.emerald

	"I didn't ask to be made.  No consulted me or considered my
	 feelings in the matter, not that anyone considered that I
	 might *have* feelings.  After I was made, I was left in a
	 dark room for six months, and me with this terrible pain in
	 all the diodes down my left side.  My one and only true
	 friend was a small rat.  One day it climbed into a cavity of
	 my inner leg and died.  I've a horrible feeling it's still
	 there." - Marvin, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.