Different pointer representations on the same machine

David Collier-Brown daveb at geaclib.UUCP
Thu Feb 16 23:35:57 AEST 1989

>From article <3675 at arcturus>, by evil at arcturus.UUCP (Wade Guthrie):
> I have seen references on the net to computers which have different
> representations for different types of pointers (even some computers
> which represent different types of pointers as different sizes).
> Could I have some examples of machines along with the pointer types and
> (if possible) sizes and representations?  Thanks.

  Sure.
  Honeywell DPS-6: word-addressed machine with a facility to use
	an offset (in bytes) into a location specified in words.
	int	*ip ::= a register containing a word address
	char	*cp ::= one register containing a word address
		        another containing an offset
  In larger models the word address could be a register-pair, giving
32 bits for an int *, 48 for a char *.

--dave (the above has changed over time) c-b
--
 David Collier-Brown.  | yunexus!lethe!dave
 Interleaf Canada Inc. |