Recursive #includes

Dominick Samperi samperi at marob.MASA.COM
Mon Feb 27 03:32:29 AEST 1989

In article <9727 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>It's easy to get the Makefile correct; just declare that a header
>depends on the others that it #includes.

The makefile that we are currently using is structured this way, and
I suspect that this may be the reason that make (actually VMS MMS)
takes forever to get started (i.e., go through the dependencies).

>Any such preprocessor is badly broken [i.e., one which does not permit
>recursive includes].  K&R 1st Edition imposes no
>such constraint.  How about telling us what brands of compiler have
>this problem...

I'm working with the Oasis port of AT&T's C++ translator to VMS. Their
preprocesor is named GCPP (could this be the GNU C preprocesor?). By
the way, I couldn't find any comments about recursive includes in
K&R, so I guess this means they are permitted?
--
Dominick Samperi -- ESCC
samperi at marob.masa.com
uunet!hombre!samperi