Is this a bug in some C compilers?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Jul 21 09:31:13 AEST 1989

In article <18648 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <10561 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>A standard-conforming compiler is required to diagnose such misusage.
>I thought the wording was ... which seems to say that the compiler is
>required to print *some* warning, but not necessarily one about this
>in particular (it could say `warning, this code smells musty' :-) ).

Yes, the Standard does not attempt to be too specific about what
diagnostic messages must look like and other such environmental matters.
It does require that such misusage produce a diagnostic that is clearly
recognizable as a diagnostic (well, the "clearly recognizable" is more
the intent than the specification).  A conforming compiler COULD simply
report only: "foo.c: at least one error detected".  (It must NOT report
the same form of diagnostic for a strictly-conforming program, although
it is free to generate additional, distinguishable, diagnostics.)  We
generally label such things a matter of "quality of implementation",
leaving it up to market pressure to get the vendors to do a good job.