PRECISE TIMING ON IBM PC/AT COMPATIBLE

Leonard J. Trejo trejo at nprdc.arpa
Fri Jul 21 07:39:07 AEST 1989

Say, we're trying to measure human reaction times (<1ms) by timing the
interval between a video field and a keypress (on the keyboard) on
our PC-compatible (Compaq 386/25) using the C subroutine call
"ftime()", which purports to provide millisecond accuracy (MSC
5.1).  Some net-news discussions I've followed say that the
precision of ftime() may actually be _worse_ than 1 ms (say 8 ms),
even though the time returned is measured in ms.  So, I thought I'd
ask to see how others accurately measure intervals on PC's.  Would
you be kind enough to send me a short description of how you do it
and/or some example programs?

			L. J. T.

ARPANET : trejo at nprdc.navy.mil		UUCP:  ucsd!nprdc!trejo

U.S. Mail: Leonard J. Trejo, Ph. D.	Phone: (619) 553-7711
	   Neuroscience Laboratory		(AV) 553-7711
	   NPRDC, Code 141
	   San Diego, CA 92152-6800