Wanted: advice on a good C textbook

Ethan Brown ethan at esosun.UUCP
Wed Jul 19 07:10:04 AEST 1989

I have seen a few incomplete references to "A Book On C".  Here is the
complete one:

Title: A Book On C
Subtitle:  An Introduction To Programming In C
Authors:  Al Kelly and Ira Pohl
Copyright: 1984
Publisher: The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, Inc., 2727 Sand Hill Road,
           Menlo Park, CA 94025
ISBN: 0-8053-6860-4

Comments:  An excellent book which, along with K&R, made learning the C
           language fun and easy.  I had the pleasure of taking Numerical
           Methods from Al Kelly while I was at UCSC, and he is an great
           instructor.  His talent for making things clear comes through
           in this book.  Over the years I have lent the book to co-workers
           who wanted to learn C, and often they liked it enough to buy their
           own copy.  The book was written before any of this ANSI
           nonsense (:-) so there is nothing about pragma's or prototyping.
           I know nothing about a new edition coming out that would include
           the new "standard" features; they may be waiting for ANSI to make
           up their collective minds.