How about a Lint warning for "while (no-side-effects) ;" ??

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Sat Jul 1 07:17:18 AEST 1989

There is a fairly simple solution to the `extra semicolon' problem:
use a prettyprinter.  I feed much of my code through `indent' (included
with recent 4BSD and SunOS releases).  This has the side effect of
making conflicts between layout and code structure vanish.

(Some may not like this solution.  Another approach, simpler than
Arthur Olson's change to lint, is to have lint complain about *every*
null statement unless it is prefixed by an anti-complaint comment,
such as `/*skip*/' or `/*void*/' or `/*empty*/'.)