Wanted: advice on a good C textbook

Norman Diamond diamond at diamond.csl.sony.junet
Wed Jul 19 12:32:58 AEST 1989

Please note the word "intro"

In article <6381 at bunker.UUCP> garys at bunker.UUCP (Gary M. Samuelson) writes:

>I haven't read _The C Puzzle Book_, but learning to debug code
>that only a psychopath (or should that be sociopath?) would write
>is a marketable skill.  In some places, it is a requirement.

Yes it is a necessary skill, but it is not a good introduction.
Please don't teach new students to write such nonsense.

Actually I feel that structured programming should not be taught in
first-year because students won't understand it.  They'll think that
just because they use "while" and "case," it's automatically structured.
First-year students should figure out whatever kind of structure they
wish.  Second-year students should be forced to make revisions to the
worst examples of first-year students' code (those psychopathic examples)
and then make similar revisions to examples of good code.  THEN teach the
structuring techniques that produced the good code, and the students will
understand!

--
Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.jp at relay.cs.net)
  The above opinions are inherited by your machine's init process (pid 1),