Short code to determine compiler's

Michael S. Ball mball at cod.NOSC.MIL
Mon Jul 24 02:36:05 AEST 1989

In article <1038 at cernvax.UUCP> hjm at cernvax.UUCP (Hubert Matthews) writes:

>I have a question for the authors of smart C compilers: is the
>register declaration useful at all for such compilers?

I can only speak for the three compilers with which I have been intimate,
but in them the "register" declaration had no effect except to prohibit
the application of "&".  In one of them you could force the compiler
to take your advice and pay attention to the "register" declaration.  It
usually only slowed the code a little bit.

Personally, I think compilers which require register declarations should
be referred to as "dumb C compilers", rather than referring to modern
compilers as "smart C compilers".

Michael S. Ball
TauMetric Corporation
1094 Cudahy Place, Ste 302