Wanted: advice on a good C textbook

Jan Parcel jan at Arezzo.orc.olivetti.com
Wed Jul 26 10:11:18 AEST 1989

Although this is meant to be a supplement (It does not cover the basic
language syntax), _THE _C_ _COMPANION_ by Allen I Holub seems to be a good book
for both beginners and C programmers.  It covers many of the same
problems _THE _C _PUZZLE_ _BOOK_ covers except it gives the way to avoid
a given problem rather than examples of the problem.  According to the
inside front page, it is published as part of the "Prentiss-Hall Software
Series: Brian Kernighan, Advisor."

It covers stack use and math operations, portability, the symbol table,
and several areas of special interest to PC-DOS users (which I am not).

Every time I lend it, I have trouble getting it back.  Then the borrower
goes out and buys it.

Caveat:  There is one sentence in the book (the first edition, I think)
where Holub advocates the "one return per function" idea a la Pascal.  The
rest of the book is good.