Wanted: advice on a good C textbook

Ira Brenner irab at amtfocus.UUCP
Tue Jul 18 00:08:36 AEST 1989

In article <9900013 at bradley> vijay at bradley.UUCP writes:

>If you do not want to deal with K&R, then I suppose the best
>book would be "A Book on C" by Ira Pohl. I do not remember the
>ISBN or the publishers, but if you need additional
>information, let me know.....

Title: "A Book on C"
Authors: Al Kelley & Ira Pohl
Publisher: The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, Inc.
ISBN: 0-8053-6860-4

This book isn't too bad and contains plenty of good examples, except it seems
a little long and it takes forever to get into any of the meaty issues
(read: slow reading through uneccessary garbage). Personally, I remeber
Stephen Kochan's introduction to C book, "Programming in C" as being the
most easily digestable in a short period of time.

Title: "Programming in C"
Authors: Stephen G. Kochan
Publisher: Hayden Books (Howard Sams Company)
ISBN: 0-8104-6261-3

Ike

Ira Brenner                                    mcdchg.chi.il.us!amtfocus!irab
Motorola, Inc.
General Systems Group - AMT                    uunet!harper!amtfocus!irab

"Uh ... sure, I know ALL the rules"