Is this a bug in some C compilers?

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Thu Jul 20 22:35:56 AEST 1989

In article <10561 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>Certainly [misusing structure members is] not correct C. ...
>A standard-conforming compiler is required to diagnose such misusage.

I thought the wording was something like `the compiler is required
to produce at least one warning for any program that violates one
or more syntax or constraints requirements'---which seems to say that
the compiler is required to print *some* warning, but not necessarily
one about this in particular (it could say `warning, this code smells
musty' :-) ).

Of course, one would hope that compilers that print deliberately
misleading error messages are rare.  (`Warning: illegal combination
of pointer and integer, op =' anyone? :-/ )