string comparisons in C

Bob Stout Bob.Stout at p6.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org
Tue Jul 18 01:57:22 AEST 1989

In an article of <13 Jul 89 22:30:56 GMT>, (Richard E. Covert) writes:

 >P.S. Does anyone know if pnmatch() is implemented on other C compilers??

I don't believe so, but it's available in many 3rd party libraries. For
example, one library (for TC and ZTC) that I contributed to has a similar
function I wrote called wildname() which does the same thing and optionally
allows either or both DOS or Unix style match-all patterns (i.e. either "." or
"*" in addition to "*.*"). For DOS programmers, it also offers smarter pattern
matching since it understands embedded '*' characters.

  But the real issue is whether vendors should sprinkle these tempting little
non-standard functions in their "standard" libraries. It seems unlikely that
the practice can be curtailed since it offers a marketing advantage to the
uninitiated, but at least they should be identified as non-portable and
isolated via separate header files, etc.