Is this a bug in some C compilers?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Jul 21 09:23:32 AEST 1989

In article <9645 at alice.UUCP> ark at alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>In article <10561 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>> A standard-conforming compiler is required to diagnose such misusage.
>I don't think so.  I'm under the impression that a standard-conforming
>compiler is one that accepts standard-conforming programs.

No, you're thinking about it the wrong way around.  A (non-strictly)
conforming program is simply one that is acceptable to SOME conforming
implementation (one wonders, why bother to define such a critter; it
was essentially a political decision).  However, conforming
implementations must meet numerous requirements other than simply
accepting all strictly standard-conforming programs.  Section 2.1.1.3
states:  "A conforming implementation shall produce at least one
diagnostic message ... for every translation unit that contains a
violation of any syntax rule or constraint."