Data compression algorithms

Richard Sargent richard at pantor.UUCP
Sat Jul 15 00:05:55 AEST 1989

> From: Bob.Stout at p6.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Stout)
> Date: 13 Jul 89 07:18:57 GMT

[ stuff deleted ]

> The fact that MS-DOS file names are always upper case and may only consist of
> alphanumeric characters plus 15 additional characters (total of 51 characters
> out of 256 possible codes) might suggest something.

Really? Try the following at your DOS prompt:

c> edlin test<ALT-1-2-8>.dat
c> dir .dat

I think you'll be surprised. All codes from 128 through 255 are acceptable
to DOS (actually, I only sampled the range, including boundary conditions,
so maybe ALT-1-6-0 won't work, but it is unlikely).

No codes between 0 and 31 seem to be acceptable.

My testing was done under Compaq DOS 3.31.

Richard Sargent                   Internet: richard at pantor.UUCP
Systems Analyst                   UUCP:     uunet!pantor!richard