Want C compiler for RSX 11

James Van Bokkelen jbvb at ftp.COM
Fri Jul 7 23:54:52 AEST 1989

In article <53255 at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, msnyder at schooner.cis.ohio-state.edu (Michael V Snyder) writes:
> In article <190 at chiron.UUCP> capron at chiron.UUCP (Michael P. Capron) writes:
> >
> >I'd appreciate any leads to C compilers for the RSX 11 operating system.
>
> Didn't Whitesmith's have one?

Whitesmith's sold one.  The DECUS C compiler was a freebie, tape maybe
$50.  Back when I was working on 11s, the Whitesmith's I/O library was
not Unix- like, but that may have changed.  The DECUS compiler came in
source form, and came with grep, diff, sort and other Unix utilities.
The compiler itself was written in Macro-11, but the utilities were
all C (and have appeared on many other O/Ss since).  One disadvantage
of the DECUS compiler was that it didn't handle variables defined on
block boundaries inside functions, but otherwise it was quite useable.
We chose DECUS C for our commercial work, I never used Whitesmiths.

--
James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901