lint won't verify printf formatting against variable types??

Doug Sanderson_Gomke des at PacBell.COM
Sat Jul 8 01:31:03 AEST 1989

In article <10459 at socslgw.csl.sony.JUNET> diamond at csl.sony.junet (Norman Diamond) writes:
>In article <105 at borabora.omni.com> bob at omni.com (Bob Weissman) writes:
>
>>Last week I spent an entire day tracking down one of those bugs you just
>>	    action;
>>My lint (SunOS 4.0.1 version) did not flag the extra semicolon.
>>
>>I Hate C.
>
>This is one of many defects in C . . .

I suggest both of you consider the difference between a _bug_ and a
_feature_.  This particular _feature_ of C is one of the things that
adds to its flexibility and therefore its usefulness.  A simple way
to check for the missuse of this feature is to do a global search for
_);_, if you are inclined to typos (as I am). ("It is a poor workman
who blames his tools").
bibi