Using vars to access structures/functions

Jonathan asst-jos at yetti.UUCP
Wed Jul 19 23:11:40 AEST 1989

	Is it possible to place the name of a field in a variable, and
then use that variable to reference the field?  For a contrived
example, if I have a structure that has a large number of fields,
and I want to reference a field, by querying the user for the
field name rather than do the following:
	getfieldname(var);
	if ( strcmp(var, "fieldname1") == 0)
		do whatever to field1
	else if (strcmp( var, "fieldname2) == 0)
		do whatever to field2
	else ....

In effect, this is to come up with a general solution to the problem rather
than re-write the code for each situation like this that arises.

	This would apply to pointers to functions as well.  Is it
possible to use the name of a function (read in from the terminal, for
example) to execute the function (assuming that it exists) without creating
a cross reference table first? I have tried this and have been unable to do
this.  This does not seem possible, but you never know!!! Any and all
help (flames included :-) ) accepted.  e-mail is welcome.
Jeffrey Klein
York University, Toronto     UUCP: Uunet!utai!utcsri!yunexus!yuyetti!asst-jos

Standard Disclaimer:
This is MY opinion, not York University's!!!