Short code to determine compiler's

Hubert Matthews hjm at cernvax.UUCP
Sat Jul 22 20:21:38 AEST 1989

I have a question for the authors of smart C compilers: is the
register declaration useful at all for such compilers?  It indicates
that a variable is non-volatile, noalias and that taking its address
is illegal, all of which should make things easier for the optimiser.

So, does "register" help or hinder?  Has it become a source-code
"no-op"?  Can I merrily leave it out of my programs and let the
compiler do the guessing for me :-).

(Please, no wars, just *informed* replies, preferably from the authors
of said compilers...)--
Hubert Matthews      ...helping make the world a quote-free zone...

hjm at cernvax.cern.ch   hjm at vxomeg.decnet.cern.ch    ...!mcvax!cernvax!hjm