Turbo C 2.0 vs MSC 5.1

Bob Stout Bob.Stout at p6.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org
Tue Jul 18 02:00:04 AEST 1989

In an article of <13 Jul 89 23:18:10 GMT>, (Juhani Grano) writes:

 >Borland supplies an utility programme called THELP bundled with TC 2.0.
 >This is a resident utility, which allows the use of TC online help via
 >your favorite editor. I use it with MicroEmacs.

Borland's THELP is useful for checking language syntax and checking errors but
lacks a complete set of library references like the Zortech help system does.

 >Another point. The CodeView debugger supplied with MSC seems to be able
 >to handle larger programs than the Turbo Debugger supplied with TC
 >Professional package. I have successfully debugged 300+ KB programs with
 >it, having the standard 640K core. With TD, I remember having
 >difficulties with 200+ KB programs.

Borland supplies a version for 386 boxes to run in protected mode, leaving
application program memory clear. Without a 386, you can try using a second
machine and the remote debuggingg version. For a compiler which built a lot of
its reputation on producing tight code, Borland's tools are memory hogs!
Zortech's debugger isn't quite as good as TD, but it's a lot better than CV
and uses less memory than either.