string comparisons in C

sabbagh sabbagh at acf3.NYU.EDU
Fri Jul 14 23:43:06 AEST 1989

In article <44672745.14a1f at gtephx.UUCP> covertr at gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
	[...Misc comments about string matching in C...]

>	But, I was browsing thru the MWC manual, and lo and behold I see
>pnmatch(). Now pnmatch is a wonderful little function which does string
>comparisons. And it even accepts wildcards, so I was in business. I just
>build an array of strings such as "*.PI1", and then by looping thru the
>array I can string compare a user inputted filename against the list of
>legal filetypes. Pretty neat solution.
>
>	So, the moral of this little ditty, is READ YOUR MANUAL!!
>
>P.S. Does anyone know if pnmatch() is implemented on other C compilers??

I can't answer the question about pnmatch, however, in the May or June issue
of Dr. Dobb's Journal there is an article entitled "Adding Awk-like ext-
ensions to C".  This gave a description and SOURCE CODE for C routines
that would perform AWK functions.  For those non-Eunuchs (:-)) users out
there, AWK is a "little" language whose primary usage is string processing.
These extensions are very powerful and worth looking into.

Hadil G. Sabbagh
E-mail:		sabbagh at csd27.nyu.edu
Voice:		(212) 998-3285
Snail:		Courant Institute of Math. Sci.
		251 Mercer St.
		New York,NY 10012

186,282 miles per second -- it's not just a good idea, it's the law!