Short code to determine compiler's register use

John Woods john at frog.UUCP
Tue Jul 18 08:03:00 AEST 1989

In article <396 at uop.uop.EDU>, greg at uop.EDU (Greg Onufer) writes:
> Some students here had to determine the number of registers (data
> and address, we use 680x0's) the C compiler uses.

The Greenhills C compiler returns 19 data and 19 address registers.  Tee hee.

> The GNU C
> compiler should not be used, it will always return 19 (the max
> number of registers the program was written to find...), optimization
> on or off.

That should have been a red warning.

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john at frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw at eddie.mit.edu