C Programmer's Environment

Raul raulmill at nunki.usc.edu
Sat Jul 1 22:29:01 AEST 1989

In article <4962 at arcturus> evil at arcturus.UUCP (Wade Guthrie) writes:
-> After having programmed in C for a number of years, I have come across
-> various useful components to a programmer's environment; however, I still
-> wonder if other tidbits have passed me by.  My question is this, what would
-> you, the programmer, consider part of the ideal C programming environment

Looks like this topic has turned into fluff, but if anyone is still
reading it, I have found that I VERY VERY MUCH like the combination of
etags with emacs (gnu emacs, and probably others).  For those of you
who have never run across this (or have some other variant of the same
tool), etags builds a reference table which emacs uses to locate
functions.  With etags, you can edit a multi-megabyte program which
might even be scattered throughout your directory structure almost as
easily as if you were editing one file.  Actually, it is easier than
editing a single file, if you consider the pain of editing a program
saved as a multi-megabyte file.

Rumor has it that vi users can get some of this functionality with a
program called ctags.

Raul Rockwell                                      |
INTERNET:   raulmill at usc.edu                       |
UUCP:       ...uunet!usc!raulmill                  |  55 mph = 82 nc
U.S.SNAIL:  721 E Windsor #4,  GLENDALE CA  91205  |