problem with cc compiler

James P. Willey willey at arrakis.nevada.edu
Mon Jul 24 08:18:25 AEST 1989

     I don't have the original error producing code anymore, but I tried to
reproduce the error. Unfortunately, [or maybe fortunately] I was unable to
reproduce the error. [I have since been moved to a new machine.] It was run
on either 4.2 BSD or 4.3 BSD UNIX. The code was something like this:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <ctype.h>
int c,f;

main()
{
  f = read();
}

int read()
{
	int index = 0;

	while (c == '\t' || c == ' ')
		c = getchar();
	while (isdigit(c)) {
		index = index * 10 + c - '0';
		c = getchar();
	}
        return(index);
}

     The error came in filbuf at 0x116 [from memory, so I'm not quite sure
where in filbuf]. No matter where in the code getchar() was called from,
the same error occurred. I wish I had saved the original code, but at the
time I didn't see any reason to save code from hell :-)
Thanks for the help!!!