In defense of the X3J11 committee

Rahul Dhesi dhesi at bsu-cs.bsu.edu
Tue Jul 11 06:48:40 AEST 1989

In article <1147 at crdgw1.crd.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <10474 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>| ...so if one really didn't
>| care enough about C standardization to make this investment worthwhile...
>The cost for
>regular and committee meetings was about 6 weeks time the first year,
>and 9 the second.

It gets worse if you care not only about C standardization, but also
Ada standardization, Pascal standardization, Fortran standardization,
etc.  (Not to mention POSIX standardization, SVID standardization,
RS-232 standardization, local housing code standardization, and so on.)

I haven't even mentioned standardized high-resolution television,
standardized digital audio tape, and standardized headlight switches on
rented automobiles.

Our lives are *full* of standards that affect us.  Were any individual
do all that he seems to be expected to do to influence standards he
"cares" about, he would likely have no time for anything else.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi at bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi