K&R II YACC grammar (was: Yacc probs w/ANSI-C)

Steve Summit scs at adam.pika.mit.edu
Mon Jul 3 02:08:06 AEST 1989

In article <UYbhqrq00Vsn43xmA3 at andrew.cmu.edu> bobg+ at andrew.cmu.edu (Robert Steven Glickstein) writes:
>I've written a parser for ANSI-C using YACC (adhering strictly to the
>grammar given in K&R, second edition) that doesn't work.  Despite the
>claim in section A13 that "this grammar is acceptable to the YACC
>parser-generator"...

Is anyone else worried about the ethical question here?  Section
A13 really seems to encourage you to type it in, feed it to YACC,
and use it in your compiler ("This grammar can be transformed
mechanically into input acceptable to an automatic parser-
generator.") yet the copyright page contains the usual "No part
of this publication may be... stored in a retrieval system... in
any form or by any means..." etc.  (No criticism of Robert; I'm
sure many others have done the same.)  Any comments?

                                            Steve Summit
                                            scs at adam.pika.mit.edu