Registers used by compiler

Roy Browning Roy.Browning at f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org
Tue Jul 25 16:20:55 AEST 1989

Walter:

> Modern compilers stuff variables into registers regardless of the use
> of the 'register' keyword. That keyword is an anachronism, only useful
> with old compilers.

     I find myself in disagreement with such an absolute statement!  For
human thought is required to adapt to new or unexpected situations.  The
"register" declaration can be misused but it is a beneficial tool that I
regret not having use of.  When implemented it can offer significant
improvement when code is designed expressly for register variables.

     Should the compiler or the programmer be in ultimate control?,

                              Roy Browning