Wanted: advice on a good C textbook

vijay at bradley.UUCP vijay at bradley.UUCP
Sun Jul 16 09:03:11 AEST 1989

>/* ---------- "Wanted: advice on a good C textbook" ---------- */
>
>    I recently bought Borland's Turbo C 2.0 upon reccommendation from
>the Psych Dept's programmer, who claimed C was the best computer
>language in the world.  A convinced consumer, I went out and got this
>package right away.  It really is impressive.  Here's the catch: I
>don't know anything about C and this is not the most user-friendly
>language I've ever seen.  What I need is a good intro book to C
>programming and I don't know what's good and what's not.  I'd
>appreciate any suggestions (hint: NOT Kernighan & Ritchie, please)
>as to what I should look into.  Incidently, I am not familiar with
>structured programming (e.g., PASCAL) either.  My goal is to
>learn C to a moderate degree of proficiency by simply reading a
>book or two and hacking away.
>
>     Please send suggestions to:
>
>     Betz-A at OSU-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu     {InterNet}
>(or) TS7080.OHSTMVSA.BITNET                {BitNet}
>
>     Thanks in advance,
>
>     Drew Betz

If you do not want to deal with K&R, then I suppose the best
book would be "A Book on C" by Ira Pohl. I do not remember the
ISBN or the publishers, but if you need additional
information, let me know.....

Have fun

  /    /                 E-mail: vijay at bradley.edu           I
 /    / *   *  ___               ...!uiucdcs!bradley!vijay   I
 //___/___/__/_\/__/__/  I  Exxon - Our gasoline contains no
         /           /   I          sea water. Guaranteed!!