Book on Microsoft C

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.COM
Thu Mar 30 03:10:08 AEST 1989

In article <225800146 at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> "Portability" is a word seldom heard outside the academic discussions
> of Usenet.

Gasp!  Portability is vitally important in the commercial world
for those who don't want to reinvent the wheel.  Sure, there will
indeed be areas of non-portable code (machines *do* differ) but
intelligent implementers know how to partition these out to minimize
the conversion work.

It's been my experience that "portability" is almost unheard of
*within* the academic community (not the net.folks, just students
in general).

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc. / Santa Ana, CA / +1 714 545 6442
3B2-kind-of-guy   / friedl at vsi.com  / {attmail, uunet, etc}!vsi!friedl

"I do everything in software, even DMA" - Gary W. Keefe (garyk at telxon)