Summary of deANSIfiers.

Dave Jones djones at megatest.UUCP
Fri Mar 24 11:45:26 AEST 1989

>From article <4399 at psuvax1.cs.psu.edu), by flee at shire.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee):
) I received several answers to my request for a program to undo ANSI
) function prototypes.
)
) The winner is "cfront", AT&T's C++ compiler, which generates pre-ANSI
) C code.  This is a bit heavy if all you want is a deprototyper.  If
) you're not going to be using C++'s features, you might as well get a
) native ANSI C compiler.  "cfront" may be easier to port though.
)

Will it not fail on foo(void), or the very popular foo()?

That's a biggy.  I know because I had to translate a jillion .h
files when I installed C++ here.  My initial rapture with C++ turned
into muttering, "Why-oh-why didn't they make it a superset? They
said they did, darn it. Grumble, mumble."

I seem to recall that there were other ways in which C++ is not
a superset of either C or ANSII-C, but I can't remember just how.
Maybe it is just my imagination.

In any case, I don't think cfront by itself will always the job
of deANSIIfying.