Wide characters

Ex-God c08_d103 at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU
Fri Mar 3 14:00:10 AEST 1989

I have a question about wide character constants.  If my system has
some way to input wide characters, and I put a wide character inside
single quotes without the L prefix, is the compiler supposed to figure
out that it's a wide character constant?  And similarly, if I put a
wide character inside a string, is it supposed to realize that it's a
wide character string (and hopefully then make all characters in the
string wide instead of, for example, converting each two characters
into one wide)?  I don't have the standard; I only have K&R II, and
their explanation or w_char is pretty vague.

Thanks,
     -- Andrew Barnert (Andy Social/Andy Christ/Andy Matter/ex-God)
        ins_balb at jhunix/ins_balb at jhuvms/c08_d103 at jhunix
The opinions expressed in this message are probably someone's.
"If you can't stand the Big Chill, burn down the freezer." -- Jello Biafra