509?? (Re: Max line length)

Blair P. Houghton bph at buengc.BU.EDU
Fri Mar 17 04:32:52 AEST 1989

In article <9847 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <2285 at buengc.BU.EDU> bph at buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>-John Carr and Doug Gwyn both quoted the pANS as requiring compilers to
>-accept at least 509 chars of logical line...
>-Huh???
>-Do X3J11 do their discussing ain between trips to the 7-11 to buy
>-lottery tickets or something?
>-Did they hit the trifecta at Rosemont betting 5-0-9? (probably required
>-themselves to box...:-)
>
>Please don't clutter the net with drivel.
>
>Rest assured that there were good and sufficient reasons for that
>particular number.  If you had asked politely I might even have
>explained what they were.

Please don't clutter the net with arrogant pedantry.  You could have
whined by email.

The answers I've received so far indicate that:

'\r\n\0', in various order, are the three stripped off to make the maximum-
allowable-length logical line.

This does not explain the arbitrary(?) limit on record length.

1 response:  there is a 512-byte maximum record length, apparently
imposed because one manufacturer's machines were limited to 512-byte
maximum record length, and the three excised bytes were a '\0' and
two bytes to indicate the record length.

I've asked for more info on that last one.

				--Blair
				  "Nothing I hate worse than a
				   net-narc.  Putz.  :-|"