AT&T C compilers

Lawrence C Foard lfoard at wpi.wpi.edu
Wed Mar 1 14:27:38 AEST 1989

In article <1071 at auspex.UUCP> guy at auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:

>(Deep breath, count to 5)  Prototypes are a relatively new feature in C
>implementations.  Some compilers do not support them.  The "Portable C
>Compiler", upon which many (most?) UNIX C compilers - including the ones
>AT&T supplies - are based, does not support them.

Turbo C and probably other PC C compilers have supported ANSI prototypes for
several years. Although AT&T still hasn't gotten its act together yet, GNU-C
supports ANSI prototypes and is available free. ANSI prototypes are definitly
worth using because most stupid errors are caught at compile time instead of
run time. They also make math much easier because it will automatically
convert an integer to a float when passed to a function. Does any one know why
AT&T is delaying so much? Standard UNIX C still barfs on things like
p=-1 .
--
| My opinions are violently objected to by my employer. I was fired last year|