Bug in MS C unlink() ?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Tue Mar 14 12:12:31 AEST 1989

In article <1205 at naucse.UUCP> jdc at naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) writes:
>Oh well, I just followed up to suggest that MSC and PC implementors shouldn't
>provide an unlink() that is not compatible with the unix counter part.  ...
>Also, I have wished, at times, that unix programmers would
>unlink() since this is a very operating specific idea.

The pANS requires the C environment to provide remove(), which is similar
to the UNIX unlink() except that there are no portable promises made for
removing an active file, etc.  Removing a file is hardly operating-system
specific; it's the notion that I/O can still be done to a removed file if
you still have a handle to it that's OS-specific.