Cake (was Recursive #includes)

Antti Louko alo at kampi.hut.fi
Fri Mar 3 06:47:58 AEST 1989

In article <238 at yasc.PLA.CA.US> geoff at yasc.PLA.CA.US (Geoff Leach) writes:
>Turns out there's a cure for this.  Try "cake", posted to comp.sources.unix,
>volume 12.  Not only does it permit the user to program _all_ his/her own
>rules, but it also permits the specification of dynamic dependencies.

When I saw cake first time, it seemed just fine. But after a while I
realized one thing. After that I haven't used cake anymore.

Lets have an Cakefile:

$ cat Cakefile
vax:	/dev/null
	cp /dev/null vax

$ cake
cp /dev/null 1
$

Funny, uh? If you have a SUN, replace "vax" with "sun".

Try GNU make instead. It is more compatible with original make and it
doesn't confuse variable names with file names.