realloc

Larry Jones scjones at sdrc.UUCP
Thu Mar 30 08:02:25 AEST 1989

In article <10170 at bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, scs at adam.pika.mit.edu (Steve Summit) writes:
> Today, for the third time in half as many years, I got badly
> burned, and wasted lots of time, due to a bug in a certain
> vendor's implementation of realloc.  It is an apparently well-
> kept secret that realloc is supposed to behave gracefully at
> a slightly special-cased boundary point: when handed a NULL
> pointer and a nonzero size, it acts essentially as a malloc.

And when handed a non-NULL pointer and a zero size, it acts like
free.  This behavior is required by the draft ANSI Standard.

----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones at sdrc.UU.NET
Milford, OH  45150                  AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"When all else fails, read the directions."