AT&T C compilers

Farrell Woods ftw at masscomp.UUCP
Fri Mar 3 03:11:37 AEST 1989

In article <1109 at wpi.wpi.edu> lfoard at wpi.wpi.edu (Lawrence C Foard) writes:

>Turbo C and probably other PC C compilers have supported ANSI prototypes for
>several years.

Have they now?  Tell me again how many years Turbo C has been around.  Tell
me again how how many years the dpANS and pANS have been available for
compiler vendors.  What's your definition of "several years?"

>Although AT&T still hasn't gotten its act together yet, GNU-C
>supports ANSI prototypes and is available free. ANSI prototypes are definitly
>worth using because most stupid errors are caught at compile time instead of
>run time. They also make math much easier because it will automatically
>convert an integer to a float when passed to a function. Does any one know why
>AT&T is delaying so much? Standard UNIX C still barfs on things like
>p=-1 .

The answer to your first question is obvious.  They don't have the benefit
of your wisdon and knowledge at their disposal.  Had they these things, they
would have had a satisfactory compiler out for "several years" now.

The answer to your second question requires more information.  Please define
"Standard UNIX C" for us and maybe we can help.  Some compilers supported
the "=op" expressions as well as the current "op=" type.  Some compilers
were silent about it (Whitesmiths, for example), and some would issue a
warning, and in the case of your example, decrement p.

Go stand in the corner with those who still think 'x' is an int.

Sheesh!

--
Farrell T. Woods				Voice: (508) 692-6200 x2471
MASSCOMP Operating Systems Group		Internet: ftw at masscomp.com
1 Technology Way				uucp: {backbones}!masscomp!ftw
Westford, MA 01886				OS/2: Half an operating system