Functions pointers and stuff

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Tue Mar 28 15:06:04 AEST 1989

In article <1715 at leah.Albany.Edu> rds95 at leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) writes:
>Is there some sneaky way to execute the function when all I know is
>the name of it, i.e., a pointer to several letters which spell it's name.

Not unless your compiler is willing to help.  Most aren't.  In general
the correspondence between name and code address (which is usually what's
needed to call the thing) is lost at compile time.  Most compilers put an
indication of it into the symbol table, but programs don't have any easy
way to get at that information for themselves.
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu