Problems with GCC and/or VAX LINK

Doug Schmidt schmidt at siam.ics.uci.edu
Sun Mar 12 10:31:50 AEST 1989

In article <1153 at auspex.UUCP> guy at auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
++ However, I'm *extremely* surprised that GCC cares; I don't even think
++ twice about using apostrophes in comments, and I've seen lots of code
++ that uses them.

Lest GCC (cccp actually) acquire the totally undeserved reputation as
``the compiler than can't grok apostrophes in comments'' let me remark
that the current version (1.34) certainly does not have this problem,
nor have I *ever* seen this problem with GCC.  I've been collecting
bug reports since version 1.18 (which appeared over a year ago), and
have not seen this problem mentioned before.  I would be interested
in hearing which release of GCC this purported problem occurred in.

Running ``gcc -v'' will provide the relevant information.

thanks,

   Doug
--
schmidt at ics.uci.edu (ARPA) |   Per me si va nella citta' dolente.
office: (714) 856-4043     |   Per me si va nell'eterno dolore.