not the way ... (was Re: Want a way to strip comments from a)

John Rupley rupley at arizona.edu
Sat Mar 25 13:45:06 AEST 1989

In article <1492 at wpi.wpi.edu>, lfoard at wpi.wpi.edu (Lawrence C Foard) writes:
> I tried the comment stripper I poster earlier today on these pathological
> cases and it seems to get the right answer.

Close, but no cigar.

We're talking real pathology, here.... try:
	(echo '/*';yes '*//*';echo 'cosmetic */') | stripper_name
Recursion blows the stack for your program.  Previously posted strippers
handle the above.

If you insist on a compilable file, use a script to produce:
        /*
        [stack-blowing number of lines of *//*]
        */
        compilable program text

Why strip comments? (1) the original poster had a broken compiler that choked
on comments; (2) the start of a cheap way to get a list or inverted index of
identifiers (cpp does too much).

I suspect all useful points (and more? :-) have been made about
comment stripping -- perhaps this thread should die now.

John Rupley
rupley!local at megaron.arizona.edu