Buddy system allocator?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Tue Oct 24 00:40:40 AEST 1989

In article <89Oct22.120811edt.3343 at neat.cs.toronto.edu> moraes at cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) writes:
>I usually prefer the boundary tags algorithm with some of the mods
>[Kunth] describes suggests in the Exercises ...

That's also the one I usually choose when I have to implement a general
memory allocator.  If anyone is going to implement this, note that the
solution to exercise 2.5-19 given in the Second Edition has a bug in it:
upon allocation failure, one must not leave ROVER pointing to the
collapsed tail; set it to LOC(AVAIL).  Also, the algorithm given in the
solution to exercise 1.5-12 can be improved upon.  I won't say how,
since you should study this stuff before implementing it, to the point
that you should be able to figure it out yourself.